The Creative Classes

Integrating creativity, style and technology into the classroom….where creativity comes to play

Inspiring Reluctant Writers

November24

On Monday, I had the opportunity to attend a session on how to Inspire Reluctant Writers.  I found that the session was very eye opening for me.  When I walked into the room, it was flooded with text, and there was a white board with a Would you Rather question on it.  The question was would you rather read or write.  I automatically went to read – which don’t get me wrong, I love to read, but I used to love to write.  I feel that I have lost that passion for writing and I want to get it back.  I hope that these sessions will continue to inspire me to write, but also to push my class to write more. I want to inspire my reluctant writers to be engaged during writing.

One of the many things that really stuck with me was the “You should write about that”. I love that idea, especially when we are thinking about writing territories – what do we know about, what can we write about.  I feel like this is a great jumping off point for students when they are stuck and that blank page is staring them in the face.  From these sessions I want to make a commitment to myself and my class to write more, and look for more opportunities to engage my reluctant writers.

Amazing journal

Amazing journal

My goals for the session

My goals for the session

My Writing Territories

My Writing Territories

by posted under Uncategorized | 7 Comments »    
7 Comments to

“Inspiring Reluctant Writers”

1. November 25th, 2016 at 11:06 pm      Reply Kathleen Bond Says:

Hi Steph!

I feel the same way, somewhere along the way I lost my way with writing and I want to get it back. If my only feelings are negative about writing how can I inspire my students? I am also thinking of having some would you rather questions to start my day, then use them as springboard for our discussion or focus with writing that day. Great work!

Kat 🙂

2. November 26th, 2016 at 4:54 pm      Reply Steph-Lynn Moffat Says:

Great post! It looks like your love of writing is alive and well in your blog. Btw, I love the layout. It’s really cool!!

3. November 28th, 2016 at 4:45 pm      Reply Annette Says:

Kudos to you for taking the plunge and committing to the blog. I appreciated you sharing the photos so we could sneak a peek at your writing process too. I can’t help but wonder if your renewed interest in writing won’t spill over into your instruction and conversation as you experience and share your writing struggles.

4. November 30th, 2016 at 10:20 pm      Reply Sue Bruyns Says:

The phrase, “You should write about that” can be so powerful for our students. It tells them that not only is the idea worthy of being written about, but that we trust that they will do the topic justice. We believe in their ability to effectively communicate. That is also a powerful phrase for us to challenge each other, as teachers, with.
    Happy Blogging!

5. January 24th, 2017 at 9:46 am      Reply Liisa McInnis Says:

I’ve lost my love of writing too. This workshop has forced me to look back on my past writing, and share it with my students. I brought in my old journals and showed them how much writing meant to me when I was their age. We are working together towards igniting a passion for writing. I’m really enjoying the process so far.

6. January 24th, 2017 at 9:47 am      Reply Shannon Says:

Great post! I feel the same way. Many years ago, I thoroughly enjoyed writing and then somehow it slipped away. I would like to get that inspiration back and share that with my students as well. I think “You should write about that!’ is a good place to start with both students and ourselves.

7. January 24th, 2017 at 9:48 am      Reply Misty Says:

I totally agree with losing the love of writing. Writing for me tends to be out of necessity not want. Whether it is report cards, student feedback or a list of things to do for the day, my writing is because I have. I have started writing to my children after a member of this session mentioned that she writes to her children daily and will share it with them later in life. I found that it allows me to reflect on the day with the kids and appreciate the little things each day.

Email will not be published

Website example

Your Comment:

Skip to toolbar